WE'RE PROUD TO SERVE FRESH, HIGH QUALITY,
LOCAL ICE CREAM!
Brightleaf Square occupies the former Watts and Yuille tobacco warehouses, named for George W. Watts and Thomas B. Yuille. The warehouses were built between 1900 and 1904 as part of an aggressive building campaign by the American Tobacco Company for storing, aging, and fermenting tobacco for cigarette manufacture. The twin brick structures punctuated the Durham skyline and announced the company’s new, bold corporate image, which reflected the fair of its founder, the entrepreneur Washington Duke. Furthermore, the warehouses stood as economic and cultural symbols of the growing importance of cigarette smoking and the industrial revolution’s impact on turn-of-the-century America.